20 November 2006

Thanksgiving Tradition

The Back-Story Behind the Michigan-OSU Game:

Thanksgiving Day, 1978. Birthday to this little sack of potatoes. Yep, it's me, fuzzy hair and all. First-born child to my parents. So what does any of this have to do with the Michigan-OSU game? Well, back in 1978, the big game was the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Also, back then it was customary for new mothers to stay in the hospital for 3 or more days. Consequently, I sat in the palm of my dad's hand (as he tells the story) in the Hospital room and together we watched Michigan beat OSU, in Columbus, 14-3. I remember hearing that story told and retold throughout my childhood. And you wonder why I went to Michigan?

Fast-forward 28 years. It is now 2006, and my 9-day old first-born child is in the palm of my hand as together we watch #2 Michigan travel to Columbus to take on #1 Ohio State University. Guess which story I'd love to tell my son throughout his childhood? What an awesome tradition that would have been: 'Son, just days after you were born you sat in my hands and watched Michigan beat OSU, just as I sat your Grandpa's hands and watched Michigan beat OSU just days after I was born!'

Well, God must be trying to show me what I should really be thankful for, or perhaps He's trying to teach me something about humility, because Michigan didn't win this time around. As Robert Burns said, 'the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.' The game was just a game, and a entertaining game at that. Granted, Michigan football is a big deal in our home (well, a huge deal, really), but the loss to OSU and the squelching of a would-be perfect season really aren't the reasons I'm bummin'. I'm bummin' because I don't get to tell the story. The thrill of victory is fleeting; the story of the victory is forever.

Well, as I said last tiem, maybe Michigan will play OSU in Glendale, AZ in the BCS Championship Game. And maybe Michigan will win. Then the story I'll tell Tommy will be, 'I held you in the palm of my hand and watched Michigan beat OSU for the National Title!' If not, I still know what I'm really thankful for this Thanksgiving.

P.S. Happy Birthday shout-outs to Tommy's Grandma Campbell and Great-Grandma Koons!

No comments: